Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My New "Calling".....

I got to bed at about 12:30 (early for me actually) last night and then Zach woke at 330 wanting to snuggle w/ mama in the chair and have his butt patted back to sleep. MEN. I have pretty much decided its pointless to "crave" all night sleep since we will be starting the whole night thing again in about 12 weeks, so I just get up and deal with it. As I was crawling back into bed, it came to me. My "calling" I guess is how I describe it. I dont know why I didnt think of it sooner.

I am going to start a MSPI support group. I had actually toyed with the idea of writing a book, but, I just dont have all that time and plus, well, I have no idea how or where to start. So I figured a group is the next best thing. I was told last night at work about another poor soul who will be venturing on the MSPI diet so she can nurse her little one. This is the 2nd girl I know of that is in my MOPS group that is having to follow this diet and we are only about a group of 30 ladies. I have came to the conclusion that this diet has got to be the WORST diet imaginable out there. The only possible good outcome of this diet....ok there is two well maybe three....

1. Its the best for your baby, no question about it.
2. The price of formula for a baby with MSPI is OUTRAGOUS. Depending on the type that your ped wants you on, ranges from around $25-$45 per can. This is the normal standard size can, not some economy kind that will last you weeks. This can will last you maybe a few days with a newborn. And as of last insurance WILL NOT cover formula. You may be one of the lucky ones to qualify for WIC or state assistance that will help with the price, but alot of families arent so lucky.
3. Its GREAT on the waistline. I mean, you cant eat a dang thing ya want, so of course the weight will melt off you.

Now since I work at our local hospital, I figured I could probably talk to a few people there to set up a room to use maybe once a month for a meeting. Im pretty sure they hold a diabetes meeting group so why not this ? And, Im sure I could probably talk a few people into being speakers, maybe my ped that has helped me from baby #2 with the whole MSPI issue, maybe the local WIC agency would be willing to come and talk about their services or maybe a La Leache group member, and maybe the hospital's dietician. I myself have quite a story, steming all the way back to baby #2. I will be starting up the MSPI diet myself here at the end of March.

So, there you have it. There is the beginning of my little dream...or calling....however you wish to describe it. Im sure it will take a bit to start, and what we would do at these meetings I have no idea, but......OOOO just came to me and figured I better jot it down so I dont forget. We could have a recipe swap at each meeting that is Milk and Soy free. I guess I'll have to start some type of book of ideas so I dont forget.

So, if you know of anyone who is dealing w/ the same issue pass along that hopefully it will be starting soon and pass along their info to me and I will start some type of mailing list.

Let the fun begin!!!

1 comment:

Regina said...

Hi! My son is also MSPI. He will be 6 months old tomorrow and I have a bunch of really good recipes if you or anyone else needs them.