Sunday, February 14, 2010

Large Family Living

It seems that I have 2 groups of friends. One group is the baby makers, the other group is your normal, typical family. I have friends that have up to 17 kids, and then, I have friends that have 1, and that's it. Two far sides of the spectrum. My MIL thinks we are nuts, crazy, and do not need anymore kids. Its amazing when you have more than the standard 2-3 kids, that it seems to be EVERYONE'S business if you are having more, when your having more, if your trying for more, if we know how it happens, if we know what causes that, and is concerned on how many TVs we own. My typical family friends do not understand large family life at all. I get asked the questions that most of my large fam friends get, "how do you do it?", "glad its you and not me", "are you turning amish?"

I just do, me too, and ummmm NO.

Here are a few things that us large families deal with and will understand that most normal families dont and wont:

  • The sock bucket or buckets
  • Waiting a turn for the bathroom
  • Hiding snacks and chocolate
  • Enough food on the floor of your vehicle to feed a starving village
  • Owning stock in the Rubbermaid company
  • Confessions Board
  • drooling over 8, 12, or 15 seater
  • Sams Club & Costco
  • Knowing what dtd, dh, ds, dd, opk, hpt, bfn, bfp, kup all mean

These are just a few that come to mind. You all know what I am talking about :)

Well some of you that is. Its almost like a secret club. You have to have more than X kids to find out the secret lingo us large families know. Its a special bond we have, you can spot a large family across the store, give a nod, see each other bob heads as you count each others herd, and move on with a smile and feel like you've instantly clicked and have known each other forever w/o speaking a word.

Large family life, wouldnt trade it for the world.

4 comments:

refabulous said...

Fantastic post. . . I'm so glad to be a member of this secret club, with all 9 of my kiddos. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I don't get asked too many questions any more. I found that answering a cheery, "YEP!" to the "are you having any more?" question is usually met with a dropped jaw and silence. Yes, that's my secret weapon now. :)

Sister Taylynne North said...

I decided a long time ago you just can't make everyone happy so you might as well not try!

Jenn said...

Very well put! lol! :)

funnymommy said...

LOVE IT!!!!! Don't forget the stock in sposies and wipes! LOL This is a great post! Love being apart of the secret club! :-)